The New Queen Inn

The New Queen Inn is situated in the hamlet of Avon approximately midway between Ringwood and Christchurch on the B3347.

This is a traditional country pub.  It is managed in conjunction with Hall & Woodhouse, the local Dorset brewery based in Blanford. It has an attractive garden and children’s play area in addition to quality but competitively priced food and drink.

To make a booking or for more details please visit the website here.

HISTORY

The earliest record of a pub on the site of the New Queen is 1725. At one time it was known as the Mermaid perhaps because of its proximity to the River Avon – for many years the landlord kept a punt tied up at the end of the garden! Its present name probably derives from a combination of the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne in 1837 and the fact that until about 1840 there was an inn called the Old Queen on the corner of London Lane a hundred yards away.

The area is steeped in history. Sir Walter Tyrrell, whose arrow killed William Rufus in a hunting accident (or was it murder?) in 1100, fled the scene and forded the River Avon close to where the New Queen now stands. Legend has it that he stopped to have his horse re shod at the Smithy which stands on the corner of London Lane and which can be seen from the car park. Having killed the blacksmith to cover his tracks he crossed the river and escaped by ship from Poole Harbour to France.

The New Queen has formed part of the Avon Tyrrell Estate (named after the descendants of Sir Walter Tyrrell) for some 200 years. It remains in private ownership and is operated by Hall & Woodhouse on behalf of the present owners Lord and Lady Manners who live locally.
 
© Copyright 2019 Avon TyrrellWeb Design by Toolkit Websites